Monday, May 6, 2013

Could we have guessed?

Could we have guessed that Elisabeth Smart would turn into the amazing woman that she is?  Could we have known that she would become this amazing advocate for women and women's issues?


I love her.  I think that she deserves every second of fame and every penny of fortune that comes her way.

Here's her most recent awesome article.  And my favorite bit.

Smart spoke at a Johns Hopkins human trafficking forum, saying she was raised in a religious household and recalled a school teacher who spoke once about abstinence and compared sex to chewing gum.

“I thought, ‘Oh, my gosh, I’m that chewed up piece of gum, nobody re-chews a piece of gum, you throw it away.’ And that’s how easy it is to feel like you know longer have worth, you know longer have value,” Smart said. “Why would it even be worth screaming out? Why would it even make a difference if you are rescued? Your life still has no value.”....


Since her rescue, Smart has started the Elizabeth Smart Foundation, which works to protect and educate children about violent and sexual crimes.
Smart says children should be educated that “you will always have value and nothing can change that.”


1 comment:

  1. I've been amazed with her . Her family must have and be wonderful to give her that strength.

    ReplyDelete