Saturday, June 8, 2013

Father's and Son's Camp out

A couple of weeks ago they announced that several congregations that are all pretty close to us were having a Father's and Son's camp out.  I wasn't at the meeting where it was first brought up but I understand that the hubbs said that he would love to go and he would be bringing his daughter.

He left it at that.

One of the great things about the hubbs is that he doesn't seem to get all worked up about things.  If I would have been in the room I would have been seething.  How dare they?  Did they have a father's a daughter's camp out planned (the answer to this question is no)?  I can just imagine what would have been going through my head while they tried to explain that they had lots of fun cooking and decorating activities planned for girls and their moms.  My anger would have fueled my thoughts and actions.  If you would have asked me I might have called anger something more PC like "rightous indignation" but boiled down to its barest form it would have just been anger--anger calling me to action.  I would fret about what people would say and how I would react and how I would protect her.

The hubbs doesn't need that.  He doesn't have to be angry to act.  He can just act.  And he's better off for it.

They had a great time.  They canoed and slept in a tent and ever since Claire has been walking around talking about camping and looking for flash lights to put in her backpack.

After the event the hubbs was in another meeting where they asked for reviews and he said, "next year I think we should make it father's and kid's instead of father's and son's."  The people conducting the meeting said they would think about it but the hubbs doesn't think they'll change.

He said he would take Claire next year too.




She can hardly wait.



4 comments:

  1. They've made that change where we are. Your people need to catch up.

    And my husband has that same easy going thing. I envy it even when it baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've made that change where we are. Your people need to catch up.

    And my husband has that same easy going thing. I envy it even when it baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, totally a stalker here, hope you're not totally creeped out. ;) But wanted to add my two cents. Our ward has been doing a daddy-daughter campout for years. A dad of four daughters and no sons took the initiative to start it up and it's been going strong ever since. I doubt they would change the father and sons to father and kids because it's my understanding they do it on the weekend closest to the restoration of the priesthood as a priesthood commemoration thing. You may or may not have opinions about this as it relates to gender stuff, just mentioning it to give you an idea why they may not be keen about changing it.
    That's all. Because I'm a total stranger you have the right to tell me I'm a total weirdo for reading and commenting on your blog and to go away if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete