Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hey Groundhog. We Get It

The high this week was 30.  Monday we are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow.  Heaven help us this has been a long cold winter.  On Monday I tutored a student who was writing a paper on this poem by Robert Frost.

Aquainted with the Night

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
A luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night. 

I almost teared up as I was reading it with him because that is what this winter has felt like--I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.  And even the goods things in my life can not get past this long cold snowy night of winter

We're trying to buy a house. We are cautiously optimistic. We're still waiting on an appraisal but we should know next week if all is going to go ahead. And then in April we will take possession of our own little postage stamp sized piece of heaven in the Bronx. You would think that means that you can no longer diss the Yankees or the Jets but actually it our new neighborhood it means you can't diss the Irish Football League.  Lots of families, lots of kids and lots of parks within walking distance.  High ceilings, wood floors and narrow rickety staircases and by the time we are there daffodils. Lots and lots of daffodils (which people in New York call tulips even though they clearly are not tulips).  There's hope in that right?

He's a terrible picture I took driving by while the car behind me honked for slowing down.

1 comment:

  1. Soooooo...did you get the house?! (p.s., We also just had our offer accepted for a house here in town. Now playing the inspection/financing game, but it's very exciting!)

    ReplyDelete