Saturday, October 29, 2011

Happy Weekend

Remember in junior high how you made lists of what you and your future spouse would have in common?  You may have listed things like music, taste in movies, hobbies.

In my case, none of that worked out.  The hubbs and are pretty much exact opposites.   

The hubbs grew up in small-town America.  He grew up in a very conservative house where they didn't have TV until he was 16.  He loves sports and techno music, studied engineering, has an MBA and his favorite pastime is networking.

I grew up in a medium-size city and we were the most liberal family in the neighborhood.  Television was one of my best friends.  I only watch sports when I am forced, I have an degree in literature and if I could I would spend every evening reading in bed.

This difference manifest itself last night as we were getting ready for the weekend.  The hubbs said, "so what should we do tomorrow?  We could start out by going for a bike ride then we could head to Balboa park and play on the playground and take the trolly and head home before nap time.  Then after nap we can head to the neighborhood party and we have been wanting to try a new beach so maybe we could fit that in there."  

I said, "yeah.  Maybe something like that." But in my head I was thinking, "we could sit around the house, have a lazy breakfast, sit around the house some more, finish Moby Dick, put the finishing touches on our costumes and then go to the neighborhood party but only because I signed up to bring a salad." My favorite way to spend a Saturday is what is known as a Futon Marathon.  One of my roommates invented the term when she lived in Japan.  A futon marathon is not for the faint-hearted.  It's a complex day that consists of spending as much time as is humanly possible on the couch or in bed.  I have only talked the hubbs into having a futon marathon once and it was awesome.  We squeezed in two movies before lunchtime.

In my days before being a mom I used to do international sensitivity training for students who were going to spend time abroad.  In the training I told the students that their new mantra should be, "it's not wrong: it's just different." That phrase has helped me in all kinds of international settings but also helps in my everyday life.

That's the way the hubbs and I make it work--this morning he took Claire running and I vegged out in bed, made bread and did the dishes. When they got back we ate breakfast, snuggled on the couch, read stories and then headed out for a bike ride. It's nap time and I'm putting the finishing touches on our costumes and he is running errands. 

So whatever kind of weekend you're having--packed to the brim or futon marathon, I hope it's a good one. 


Yes, that's a fly swatter.  You know us and biking--just the necessities.


*There is one little thing that I can not accept as not-wrong-just-different about the hubbs' past.  He is still trying to convince me that Bobby Brown was, at one point, actually cool.  To which I say, NO. WAY.

**Something to know and love about the hubbs is that he still loves Bobby Brown and sings his songs all the time.


4 comments:

  1. I still love Bobby Brown, I honestly used to record his videos and then watch them over and over an over learning his dance moves and practice them in front of the big mirror with all the DJ lights and sound system BLARING in the basement! Love your Hubbs even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sallee...we need to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy all of your posts, but I loved this one. Hysterical. And yes, there was a time when Bobby Brown was not a drug addled wife beater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brown began his solo career in 1987 and had a string of Top 10 Billboard hits, culminating in a Grammy Award.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Brown

    Need I say more . . .

    ReplyDelete