Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Easter

I had to speak in church on Sunday.  One of the tricks of not having a paid minister in your church is that it means that you all take turns getting up in front and preparing a sermon.  One of the major tricks is that sometimes it's your turn on Easter Sunday.

After I had finished my talk (which fortunately was only 10 minutes long) Noah started crying so I took my two babies to the nursing mother's lounge (there is a nursing mother's lounge in ALL Mormon churches--it's one of the prices that you pay when you urge your congregations to "multiply and replenish the earth") and rocked them while the service finished.  In the nursing mother's lounge there is print of this painting (which is by my favorite religious painter).



While I rocked my babies and thrilled in the calm that follows speaking in front of an audience I was just so thankful.  So thankful for this beautiful life and for a God who loves me.  It would be a lie if I didn't say that I am also thankful for Spring which, even now, I can feel melting away the worries of a long cold winter.

4 comments:

  1. Sallee is very nice and didn't mention that her Hubs is in charge of asking/assigning the speakers for our congregation. BTW, she did a wonderful job and everyone should encourage her to share her talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Nathan, no you didn't! Good job Sallee. I'd love to hear it. I'm sure it was wonderful and thoughtful. Also, Minerva Teichert is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sallee-
    I check in on your blog every once in awhile and had to comment since I was sitting in the Temple on Saturday and admiring this very same painting. I didn't know who painted it so thanks for sharing! Her Christ in Red Robe is another favorite of mine! I should have known by the styles that they were the same artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Nathan's suggestion. Sallee. PLEASE share your talk. I am sure we will all love it.

    ReplyDelete