Sunday, April 27, 2014

A little of this and a little of that

For the past couple of weeks I've had a couple of half-clever half-thought-out blog posts running through my head.  Most of them center around half-completed lists (that's actually a really good metaphore for my entire life right now--half-completed lists).  Here are two examples:

New York Facts:

Having lived here in New York for coming on two years (how can that even be possible?) I feel like I have some wisdom to share with those of you who are thinking of visiting or who are planning a move.

1. New York drivers are a-holes.  You may think that it's just the punk kids who double park or who pull into the left-hand turn lane at a red light and then zip into the front of the people headed straight but it's not.  It's everyone--the old man down the street and the soccer mom who lives next door.  You can't take it personally.  I actually don't think they see those as jerky moves--they simply think they're being clever and agressive.  Try not to take it personally (I'm still working on that--I haven't gotten too far)

2. You may think that only tourists wear I {heart} NY merchandise but that is not the case.  Lots and lots of locals sport I {heart} NY t-shirts or carry the reusable shopping bag.  I theorize that this is because more than 60% of people who live in NY are either G0, G1 or G2.  That means that either they were not born in this country, their parents were not born in this country or their grandparents were not born in this country.  In a way, so many of the people who live here are just as proud of NY as your average tourist.

3.  There isn't anything that people don't know about.  You may hear people talking about some undiscovered something or other {restaurant, road, awesome activity to do with you kids.}  That is simply something that doesn't exist in NY.  Did you know that if the state of Texas were as densly populated as NYC the WHOLE WORLD'S POPULATION could live there.  True story.  In that kind of situation there just isn't anything that no one knows about. 

That's it for the New York list.  I know I could make it longer but....I won't.  And may as well get it down as a 3-part list. 

This post has already turned a little wordy so I'll save you my "basic belief list" for tomorrow.  After all, it's been a long day and I assure you that I will be leaving the dishes for tomorrow as well.



Know what that is?  It's 3 things at least.  1. a good photo bomb. 2. A hilarous little boy and 3. Someone wearing a soft cast.  We spent 3 hours at urgent care today (where we had some of the best doctoring I have ever had--that's not me being scarcastic--seriously the best doctor in the world was at the WestMed Urgent Care today).  I feel like I've entered a new phase of parenting--Sunday trips to Urgent Care for fractured wrists.

No comments:

Post a Comment