Friday, June 17, 2011

Cowboy Cookies

I like most things that have to do with cowboys...cowboy poetry, cowboy boots, cowboys themselves. So it should have come as no surprise that I love cowboy cookies too (I will not divulge how many of these I have eaten today but I will just tell you that making them at 8 in the morning made for many hours of sampling).  The first time I ever tasted these our friend *Courtney brought them to a class she was teaching.  She said that people wouldn't remember the lesson but they would remember if she brought really good cookies.  I'm not sure if that was a self fulfilling prophecy but I don't remember the lesson.  I do remember the cookies. I probably don't remember the lesson because my mom and I talked almost all the way through it trying to figure out what made these cookies so dang good.  Courtney was kind enough to share the recipe.

This makes a lot of cookies.  A.  LOT.  Like 7 dozen. Like so many cookies that they didn't fit in my mixer and they didn't fit in the largest mixing bowl that I own. So only make it if you have somewhere to put 7 dozen cookies.  Courtney's mom doesn't believe that you can half the recipe--she says it turns out funny, but Court said that she did it once but still used the same number of chocolate chips (I like your style miss Courtney) and it worked out fine. Next time I'm going to try that.  And I'm also going to add macadamia nuts--you should too.


Courtney's Cowboy Cookies

1 lb butter (that's right...one pound of butter)
4 eggs
2 c white sugar
2 c brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 c flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1 bag white chocolate chips
1 14 oz bag of coconut
3.5 cups of oats

Cream together the butter, eggs, sugars and vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients and mix.  Add the chocolate chips, coconut and oats.

bake for 8-10 minutes (my oven required 9.5 minutes).  They should have brown little coconut tips but still be soft in the middle. Let them stay on the pan for a couple of minutes before you move them to the rack.


*Courtney has a special place in our hearts because she was the first person who was not a relative to watch Claire.  She did a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment