Monday, June 20, 2011

Dads

I'm sorry that I don't have a retro 80's style picture of me and my dad.  I also don't have a picture of the two of us at my wedding.  Even though those two things do seem to be the most important part of writing a blog post about father's day I'm going to push forward anyway.

I have the best dad.  Once, when I was still single, I was talking to two of my favorite people, Mr and Mrs. Miller.  We were talking about marriage and life and I said, "I don't know if I can ever get married because who could I marry that would hold a candle to my dad?"  Instead of coddling me the Millers just said, "yeah...that's going to be hard.  Your dad is really amazing."

It's true.  In high school I remember going to my car to leave for school (which started really early) and I would find the car running in the driveway, already warm and full of gas.  There was also always sure to be a tool-kit in the trunk.  When my dad comes to visit me now it's the same kind of thing.  He put shelves in my garage, hall closet and laundry room (if you live in a little apartment in SoCal extra shelving is like manna from heaven).  He tells me that I don't need to help him and that I should go and spend time with Claire.  He just works away  his whole vacation and fixes up my house. And sometimes after he's left I'll find a case of diet coke in the garage (really what says love like a case of diet coke?).  My dad stops to help people who have flat tires on the freeway, is an incredibly hard worker and has an open invitation breakfast every Saturday morning where he cooks pancakes, waffles or crepes.

The really lucky thing is that I did find someone like my dad.  He's not as good as fixing things as my dad is but he is kind and gentle just like my dad and that is more important than the fixing things. The hubbs spent most of Father's day weekend...fathering.  He made Claire breakfast, took her running, helped with babysitting co-op, changed diapers and played all weekend long. We did plenty to celebrate him (the hubbs does not love celebrating but he did a good job of being grateful anyway) but the hubbs was just his good fathering-self. 

So to these two men. (Sorry about the pic.  It was the only one I had of us together.  Though actually...I guess it's pretty appropriate)

Thank you for being the best example of what men should be.

Thank you for taking care of me and loving me.
You are more dear to me than you know.

1 comment:

  1. Aww that's so sweet. I too was lucky to find someone as great as my own father! Hope you had a great Father's day.

    ReplyDelete