Wednesday, March 14, 2012

You have brains in your head....

Are you ever shocked at what your brain remembers?

The other day I was driving home from a meeting and that song Jenny/867-5309 by Tommy Tutone came on the radio.  Suddenly I was overwhelmed with memory of being 4 years old.  I snuck into my mom's room, picked up the phone and dialed 8675309 over and over again until someone picked up. I'm a born rule follower (even now I carefully count items before I go in the 15 and under express checkout line at the grocery store) so sneaking away to do something that I knew was naughty was pretty memorable.  A nice older woman picked up the phone and talked to me for a little while.  Before we hung up she told me that I should probably ask my mom before I used the phone.

I am almost 33 years old and I can tell you what the wall paper in my parents room looked like and how the sun was slanting through the blinds but 9 times out of 10 I can't remember why I stood up and walked into the other room.

Do you ever wonder why our brain keeps those snippits of life? Is there something to learn? was some valuable part of my character formed at that moment?  Is there some reason that that specific memory is emblazoned into my brain?

What about you? What random things are floating around that brain of yours?

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sallee, all I can say is that you just described my life.

    ReplyDelete