Sunday, August 17, 2014

Family Theme

This week I started talking to the hubbs about how we should prepare for school.  It's hard to know if it was my lack of eloquence that elicited the look of horror on the hubbs face as I talked about how some families choose family themes for the year and have special dinner parties to present them to the kids or just the idea of actually being a family that chooses a theme for the year that had him scorning the idea before I even finished.  I ended by saying, "clearly, if we're going to have a theme it's something I'll have to work on myself--I'll let you know what I decide."

I don't know if we'll actually do it (my gosh--that sounds like a lot of work doesn't it?) but I like the idea of Claire having some short thing she can say to herself as she makes decisions at school.  Then yesterday I came across this on facebook:
  



It's exactly what I want to think about while I interact with other people--and exactly what I want to teach my children to do as well. It's too lengthy and wordy for a 4-year old but maybe we can just sum it up by saying, 

"Love yourself.
Love one another."

We might just be one of those families that has a theme after all.

1 comment: