Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The business of teeth getting

Claire is getting two new teeth so we've had a week of lots of whining, lots of chewing on ice and lots of explosive poopy diapers. It's also meant lots of crying and rocking. Last night Claire woke up crying. I went into her room, picked her up, gave her some tylenol and rocked her. She likes to rock with her legs straddling my lap and her head resting on my chest.

Her little head was pressed against my chest and her crying stopped and her eyes got droopy. I was overwhelmed that when she is hurting I am the person she wants. When she is sad and angry, I am what calms her down (well, me and a pacifier). It reminded me of this quote.

“Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”

Elizabeth Stone

There are times when I miss working. I miss interacting with all kinds of adults but the decision to spent my time with Claire (and be rewarded by being the thing that brings her peace and comfort in a weary, tooth-getting world) is a decision I am so glad that I made.


Family Picture December 2010

4 comments: