Monday, March 21, 2011

Dear Liver.......

I'm getting ready to dip into savings* to have more than $3,ooo worth of dental work done. You read that right. $3000. Oh yeah, and we have insurance so the real cost of the work is more than that. Turns out that when I was young I had a dentist who gave me huge fillings where I didn't really need them and now, at the age of 31 they are falling apart. Pregnancy didn't help my dental disaster either.

A couple of weeks ago I scheduled an appointment for a root canal which needed to be done after my dentist in Salt Lake left me with a crown that didn't go all the way up to my gums (a different dentist than my childhood one but obviously just as lacking in dental skills--boy do I know how to pick 'em). I scheduled the appointment for this week because the dentist was booked before I left town. While visiting my family last week, said crown erupted into the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. Holy Crap. I've been through 8 hours of pitocin-induced contractions and they were nothing compared to the pain of an infected tooth. My San Diego dentist sent me prescriptions for an antibiotic and Vicodin to get me through until the appointment. I spent several days in an pain-killer induced haze (sorry if those blog posts were a little hard to follow) but thanks to the miracle that is modern day medicine I am now mostly back to my cheery self. Now that I'm out of the woods on the bring-tears-to-your-eyes pain I only have two things to say,

1) Did you know that you can take max doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen at the same time? Turns out they work differently and don't interfere with one another.

2) Dear Liver, I'm sorry.

*this savings account is what I call my plastic surgery fund. It's money that I had saved before we got married and if there is still any of it left after we're done having kids I am going to have a tummy tuck and get my hoots done. Of course I may end up spending it on the actual having of kids (they don't come cheap you know) or getting my teeth fixed after they come but the plastic surgery dream nice to hold on to.

No comments:

Post a Comment