Friday, February 18, 2011

A Consumer

I have a friend who has committed for a whole year not to buy anything new (you should check out her blog here). I love the idea. I would love to tell you that I'm embarking on a similar journey but the truth is that I am a consumer.

I've had a Nordstrom's gift card burning a hole in my pocket for way too long (like pre-baby too long). So after a long day with no dad around Claire and I headed out to Nordies to put it to good use. I've been feeling tired of my make-up routine (I promise that lots of the time I think about things that are less petty than makeup). I have some MAC products that have been my go-to colors for more than 2 years. They're shimmery and purplely and they look nice but I am SICK OF THEM. So C and I headed to the makeup counter to ask about a new day-time look. The darling MAC girl who helped me had inch-long eyeliner wings, bright orange lipstick and a sparkly head elastic worn Nicole Richi style so it was sort of hard to take day-time advice from her but I came home with 3 new colors (an ivory and 2 light browns all matte), a new liner color (black for the first time in a long time) and a whole slew of application tips. The darling girl did one eye and then let me do the other one under her tutelage.

I'm a huge MAC fan but sometimes they are a little price prohibited (so I also have been known to go here for great $1 deals--sure the products smell like petroleum but for a girl who uses Vaseline to remove her makeup everyday it's no big deal) but if I'm picking an everyday color I'm going to shell out for it (and really, $14 per color isn't too crazy).



Here's the terrible thing. I have been giddy ever since. I considered putting on makeup before I went to the gym just to dazzle all of the people there. I just put it on (and it looks pretty dang great if I do say so). Buying new things shouldn't make me this happy but I have to tell you that I might like it even more than I like chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. There is no shame in makeup! Or clothes, or hair, or whatever. If it makes you feel awesome, it is a good thing. (The problems, obviously, come about when you feel like you *have* to do this stuff. Then the fun to social-expectations ratio changes substantially.) Plus, we know you are lovely with or without it. :)

    ReplyDelete