Friday, February 25, 2011

Homemade Thin Mints

Yes. You read that right. Home. Made. Thin. Mints. Ah. Those girl scouts, with their beady eyes and their smug looks, "oh, you're gonna buy our cookies at $4.00 per tiny box."

Not any more. Emily, from cupcakes and cashmere (I kind of hate her for her long lean body and the way she bakes treats) made this recipe the other day. I'm taking a frozen meal to a family one complex over who just had a new baby last week and I was looking for a dessert (which could hopefully be frozen) and thought I would try these out.

Our 2 year-old friend came over yesterday and she helped us dip them in chocolate. We used dark chocolate (which, because the cookies aren't sweet makes for some pretty bitter cookies) and the butter in the coating in the original recipe has a really strong flavor so I'd use a milder oil. We ran out of chocolate about 1/2 way through (which was only partially due to the fact that my helper was a 2-year old). For the other half we made mint frosting and drizzled them with the chocolate coating (AMAZINGLY YUMMY. Maybe even better than a thin mint). All that said, I'm posting the recipe with the changes I would make if I were going to make them again (which I might).

Homemade Thin Mints

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup milk (any kind)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1.5tsp peppermint extract

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. With the mixer on low speed, add in the milk and the extracts. Mixture will look curdled. Gradually, add in the flour mixture until fully incorporated. Shape dough into two logs, about 1 1/2 inches (or about 4 cm) in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1-2 hours, until dough is very firm. Preheat oven to 375F. Slice dough into rounds not more than 1/4 inch thick – if they are too thick, they will not be as crisp – and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cookies will not spread so you can put them quite close together. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until cookies are firm at the edges. Cool cookies completely on a wire rack before dipping in chocolate.

Chocolate Coating
20-oz semisweet chocolate
1 cup vegetable oil

In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Melt on high power in the microwave, stirring every 45-60 seconds, until chocolate is smooth. Chocolate should have a consistency somewhere between chocolate syrup and fudge for a thin coating. Dip each cookie in melted chocolate, turn with a fork to coat, then transfer to a piece of parchment paper or wax paper to set up for at least 30 minutes, or until chocolate is cool and firm. Reheat chocolate as needed to keep it smooth and easy to dip into.

Makes 3 1/2-4 dozen cookies.


**On an unrelated side-note. My brother-in-law is visiting and in our teeny apartment with only 2 bedrooms that means Claire loses hers. She is now sleeping in the spare bathroom. Yes, bathroom. We have this weird second bathroom attached to our bedroom vanity and that's where C is sleeping. I swear I can feel that parent of the year award getting closer and closer.

4 comments:

  1. These look oh soooo yummy! I am going to have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really good. Jose and I trying to go gluten-free, but I wonder if I couldn't make those with almond flour... If I have a chance to try it, I'll let you know.

    PS--You're doing the best you can. I don't think Claire sleeping in the bathroom makes you lose out on parents of the year. I think it makes you a considerate host and mother, since both your girl and your guest continue to maintain their privacy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie, these would totally work with almond or rice flour. I also have this incredible gluten free recipe for coconut cake that I'll post next. I'll put the ingredients on my shopping list this week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, coconut cake, huh? Sounds good. I might try these with almond flour since our local store apparently doesn't want to restock their rice flour. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete